By M. Callahan
According to the Historic American Buildings Survey, Holly Hill was built by Mary Fitzhugh Mason in 1867. Originally part of the 22,000 acre estate of William Fitzhugh, Mary inherited this 174 acre parcel from her father Mordecai C. Fitzhugh in 1858. The home and property were kept in the Mason Family until 1901.
The original house was a two story steeply pitched structure with gabled roof and interior end chimneys. An outbuilding, still present on the property was built as a stable or run-in shelter with wood shingled roof and an open south wall. During the 1952-1970 ownership of J.M. Woodard, a one and a half story addition with gabled windows was built along with the Colonial Revival-style portico and Chippendale side railings. They add a gracious charm to the house and remain true to the original design. Holly Hill is shielded from view by extensive plantings which represent the best of Virginia landscaping.
Holly Hill is located on Statecrest Drive, Annandale
Reproduction of this article in whole or in part requires the permission of the author.