Report Street Light Outages
They Don't Last Forever


 Toll House Park, Annandale, VA

Streetlights, like light bulbs, don’t last forever.  One way you can help the community is by reporting streetlight outages in your neighborhood and in other areas you frequent.  Reporting an outage is simple and helps keeps neighborhoods safe; it also helps keep pedestrians visible and safe (especially this time of year with an early sunset).

Streetlights along public roadways in Fairfax County are typically maintained by Dominion Virginia Power or the Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC). The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) operates the streetlights along interstates and at major interchanges.

To report Street light Outages is easy.
When reporting an outage to Dominion Virginia Power or NOVEC, you will need to have the location of the pole and the pole number.

Look for the pole ID number, which can be found on the pole. Write it down or take a photo.  If you can’t find the pole number or if you notice a streetlight outage while driving, use the online streetlight locator tool to find pole numbers. Zoom in on the map to see streetlight locations. After finding the streetlight on the map, call the phone number listed or report it online in the link provided.

Report Outages by Phone:

Dominion Virginia Power: Call 1-866-366-4357 

NOVEC: Call 1-888-335-0500


Report Streetlight Outages over the Internet:  All you will need to make the report to the power company is a nearby address and pole number. If you do not have the pole number, please enter the nearest address number and street name in the map search feature below to locate the streetlight pole.

Still Cannot Find the Pole?  The streetlight is privately owned or on a private road. In this case, the corresponding private owner (for example, Homeowners Association) has to report the outage to power company.

Sometimes the light pole can not been identified in inventory. In this case, please email Department of Public Works by clicking and filling out the form or call 703-324-5111, TTY 711 to have the Streetlight department assist you.

If the Streetlight is located at a major interchange you will need to contact VDOT. Streetlight Outage at Major Interchanges or a Traffic Light Problem: Call VDOT: 1-800-367-7623

If you need additional assistance, call 703-324-5111


Photographs & images, on this page, and on this website, are not available for use by other publications, blogs, individuals, websites, or social media sites. 
(Copyright © 2011 Annandale Chamber of Commerce. All rights reserved.)  This article first appeared in January 2017 ENDEAVOR News Magazine, and may not be reproduced without the written permission of the magazine.


                                                                 Copyright 2012 Annandale Chamber of Commerce. All rights reserved.                     Privacy Policy