Happier Holidays for Your Senior
Deena Imbriglia, Home Instead Senior Care
Navigating the holiday season with an older loved one can be emotional and stressful for family members. Here are a few tips from professionals that will help you support older adults – without overextending yourself.
- Include your family member in event and/or meal planning. From choosing the meal courses to picking out linens, involve your older loved ones, especially if they are able to cook.
- Make some of their favorite meals or treats. This makes them feel special, shows you care and may help with memory challenges.
- Help them primp. Treat your loved one to a “spa day”, professionally or at home.
- Look at photo albums. Spend time looking at photos of holidays past. It may be a healthy way to release normal feelings.
- Guide a “life review”. Ask questions that evoke thoughts and feelings like “What is your favorite piece of music?” or “What is the most satisfying thing in your life?”.
- Revive old family traditions. This is a great way to honor the past in a joyful way. For example, watch holiday movies or take a drive to see the holiday lights.
- Keep your loved one involved. Include them in the spirit of the season by engaging them and having them participate. Have them be included in whatever way they are capable.
- Enjoy the moment! While you may worry about your loved one’s age, declining health or memory loss, this is a perfect time to just enjoy what is, right now.
Home Instead Senior Care
7058 Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA 22003
703-740-6644 . www.homeinstead.com
(In the Annandale Shopping Center at Gallows Road)
ABOUT: Home Instead is the largest provider of Home Care services with locations across the United States, Canada, and Europe. Our local Southern Fairfax County franchise is the largest in Virginia and has an outstanding reputation in serving our community for over 15 years.
Our Team works closely to schedule and provide services from companion care, light housekeeping, laundry, organizing closets, changing bed linens, transportation, watering plants, cooking, and preparing meals to physical assistance such as helping you to walk, groom, shower, dress, use the restroom or change incontinent products, assist in feeding, provide medication reminders, and some nursing services.
We find it a privilege to enhance and support our community members who need assistance, whether it is for 4 hours a couple times a week, or around the clock care. We are located next to Silverado Restaurant at 7058 Columbia Pike in Annandale and can be reached 24 hours a day at is 703-750-6644.
Photographs & images, on this page, and on this website, are not available for use by other publications, blogs, individuals, websites, or social media sites. For this and other stories on Annandale see the ENDEAVOR News Magazine.
(Copyright © 2011 Annandale Chamber of Commerce. All rights reserved.)