Home Security Reminders Ahead of Vacation Season
Message from the FCPD
The Fairfax County Police Department needs your help in preventing burglaries. Home security starts with you.
Officers from our Crime Prevention Unit have identified some simple tips that can help strengthen the security of your property and deter crime.
- Install security cameras that preferably have recording capabilities.
- If you’re heading out of town, avoid announcing your plans on social media.
- Ensure your residence appears occupied, even when no one is home, by using timers on lights.
- Keep all doors and windows closed and locked.
- Secure sliding glass doors by placing a metal rod or a wooden dowel rod in the track.
- Lock the door to an attached garage.
- Keep the perimeter of your home well-lit.
- Have a trusted neighbor check on your home if you plan to be away.
- Keep landscaping trimmed near entrances and walkways.
- Organize or join a Neighborhood Watch program.
- Keep an inventory of your property.
- Store ladders, tools, and any other outside objects in a locked shed or garage.
- Set a reminder every night before bed to lock your car and home to keep them safe.
- Report suspicious activity to our non-emergency number at (703) 691-2131. If you have an emergency, use 911.
Make your home a hard-target for burglars.
Did you know that our Crime Prevention Officers have specialized training in conducting home security surveys? Contact your local district station to learn more and sign up.
Mason District Police Station: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/district/mason . 703-256-8035
West Springfield Police Station: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/district/westspringfield . 703-644-7377