Thomas Jefferson Ranked the 2015 Top High School in America
Congratulations to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, located right here in Mason District, for ranking first in the nation for the second year in a row according to Newsweek. The rankings were calculated using several measures, including graduation rate, college enrollment rate, SAT and ACT scores, AP and IB scores and participation, teacher-student ratio and dropout rates.
At TJ, the following scores were achieved and contributed to their ranking.
- The average ACT score is 32.
- The average SAT score is 2182.
- The average AP score is 4.45.
- College Readiness score is 100%.
- Graduation Rate score is 100%.
- College Bound students 99.8%.
TJ received applications from 2,841 students for admission this fall, for approximately 500 spots. According to Fairfax County Public Schools the following middle schools sent the most students.
- Carson in Herndon: 88
- Frost in Fairfax: 21
- Hughes in Reston: 18
- Jackson in Falls Church: 13
- Kilmer in Vienna: 38
- Lake Braddock in Burke: 20
- Longfellow in Falls Church: 66
- Rocky Run in Chantilly: 45
- Twain in Alexandria: 12
Here are the top 10 high schools in the United States, according to Newsweek:
- Thomas Jefferson High (Fairfax County, VA)
- High Technology High School (Lincroft, NJ)
- Academy for Mathematics Science and Engineering (Rockaway, NJ)
- Union County Magnet High School (Scotch Plains, NJ)
- Bergen County Academies (Hackensack, NJ)
- Gretchen Whitney High (Cerritos, CA)
- Middlesex County Academy for Math Science & Engineering (Edison, NJ)
- International Academy (Bloomfield Hills, MI)
- Academy of Allied Health and Science (Neptune, NJ)
- Walter Payton College Preparatory HS (Chicago, IL)
Other Virginia schools on the list were Hidden Valley High School in Roanoke, ranked #432 and Albemarle High School in Charlottesville ranked #471.