Mount Pleasant Cemetery
By: M. Callahan
Founded in 1867 by freed slaves, Mount Pleasant Baptist Church initially consisted of a single pine log cabin. Weekdays it was a school, while weekends it became a joyous place of worship and fellowship.
Immediately after the Civil War, Charles Brown sold 60 acres of land to freed slaves. He then deeded to the, “freedmen of Fairfax County” one acre of land, “to be used exclusively for religious and school purposes and a burying ground.” A more substantial structure was built in 1881. More land was acquired in 1913 for the purpose of expanding the cemetery. The church building now present was dedicated in 1931 but the growing congregation found it necessary to add a larger sanctuary in 1971. In September 1992, the old sanctuary was renamed and dedicated the Pinkett and Sheppard Memorial Chapel after past Pastors, Reverend Pinkett and Reverend Sheppard.
Today the congregation numbers about 1,000. The cemetery has an unknown number of unmarked graves along with 75 marked ones.
Mount Pleasant Churchis located at 4111 Old Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA 22003. The cemetery is on Lincolnia Road.
Reproduction of this article or photographs, in whole or in part, requires the permission of the author.