Bring Treasured Memories to an Older Adult
By: Pamela Phillips , Home Instead Senior Care
Togetherness can be fun for older adults with their families, and or friends, even if they have physical or cognitive limitations. It is all about spending time together, feeling included and enjoying the good company. Simply being able to join each other’s company brings joy and helps older adults, and those they are with have a special, meaningful season of treasured memories.
12 Activities to Share with Your Senior Adult Loved One or Friend
- ¨ Decorate picture frames for the season
- ¨ Ask about the olden days, and listen to their stories
- ¨ Play simple Card games, board games or charades
- ¨ Listen and move to favorite songs
- ¨ Ask about favorite trips taken around the world and listen to their memories
- ¨ Watch a Holiday Classic Movie with favorite snacks and a blanket
- ¨ Have a sing-along with songs of the season, favorite hymns, or campfire songs
- ¨ Help them decorate and write cards to friends or family
- ¨ Cook a “family favorite” meal together
- ¨ Cook favorite Cookie recipes that bring back memories
- ¨ Drive around to favorite sites that warm the heart
- ¨ Go to the ice cream store
- ¨ Bring treasured memories to an older adult relative or friend, and feed their soul, and yours!
Home Instead Senior Care
7058 Columbia Pike
Annandale, VA 22003
703-740-6644 . www.homeinstead.com
(In the Annandale Shopping Center
at Gallows Road)
ABOUT: Home Instead is the largest provider of Home Care services with locations across the United States, Canada, and Europe. Our local Southern Fairfax County franchise is the largest in Virginia and has an outstanding reputation in serving our community for over 15 years.
Our Team works closely to schedule and provide services from companion care, light housekeeping, laundry, organizing closets, changing bed linens, transportation, watering plants, cooking, and preparing meals to physical assistance such as helping you to walk, groom, shower, dress, use the restroom or change incontinent products, assist in feeding, provide medication reminders, and some nursing services.
We find it a privilege to enhance and support our community members who need assistance, whether it is for 4 hours a couple times a week, or around the clock care. We are located next to Silverado Restaurant at 7058 Columbia Pike in Annandale and can be reached 24 hours a day.